Monday, July 17, 2017

Aargh! Getting Ready for Pirate Day!

Last year Talk Like a Pirate Day snuck up on me - not this year!  I'm planning ahead!!

First up - a morning message to get the day started.  Students will solve the message using a secret pirate code.  I may put it on the Smartboard and solve as a class, but perhaps I'll print them each a copy.  Once I meet my new class I'll decide.  You can download a copy here for FREE.  :)

Then, we'll do some pirate talking with this YouTube video.  Students will have a chance to learn some pirate sayings.

I've created a new math activity that I think will become a go-to math station.  
I created my game board on a remnant two by four to resemble a plank, but paper would work too!  This race to the treasure game will have students trying to walk the plank.  It is easy to differentiate with dice, spinner or even a deck of cards.  The possibilities are endless once the game is created!  Really, who can resist these pirates?!?
You can find this activity HERE in my TPT store.

I'll also be using my Tens and Ones Mystery Picture for some place value practice that you can learn more about HERE.

Then there's this song for talking like a pirate ...

I have created a new Pinterest board to pin more ideas for Talk Like a Pirate Day.  You can follow me on that board HERE

Did you know that Talk Like a Pirate Day has been celebrated on September 19th since 2002?

As always, I'd love to give away 3 copies of my newest learning pack (Walk the Plank Math Game).  I'll send a copy to the first 3 people who leave a comment with their email on this post.

10 comments:

  1. I love games that teaches and reinforces basic concepts! Thanks very much.

    Mia
    miaqunin@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk Like a Pirate Day is so fun! This activity looks like a good time for the kids.
    Jen - whitlockroomrcs@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so fun! docketta@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love it for my kids!
    eaglepride1984@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoops! Sorry. I guess I was #4. I did not count correctly. Thanks anyway for the chance to enter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am getting ready to greet my new buccaneers and this say can sneak up on you. Thanks for the ideas and the reminder, I need to go find my shirt. bartramsbuccaneers@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete