Sunday, September 15, 2013

I Spy Word Family Words

Have you noticed that my posts are a little further apart now that I am back to school?  Like all of you, I am caught up in the September craziness!  Surely, it'll slow down soon.  Right? 

In the midst of the craziness I've been working on this new unit and I'm thrilled with the way it turned out!  We work on word families continually in first grade.  A challenge is always trying to come up with new ways to practice using them.  My I Spy activities are always such a hit with my students that I decided to create one that has students searching for teeny tiny words then sorting them into the correct word family.
Here's a peek:

To use this work activity I print one copy of each of the five I Spy pages (in color) and laminate.  Students useEach I Spy page has a matching recording sheet.
Each page has 20 hidden words from four word families.  The word families included are: ad, an, ap, at, ed, en, ell, et, ig, in, ip, it, ob, og, op, ot, ug, um, un, ut.


This activity has been posted individually at my TPT store but has also been added to my I Spy Bundle.  If you already own the bundle you can redownload for free to get the new activity.  This bundle has grown to include 14 I Spy word work activities including:
I Spy - 2 sounds of OO
I Spy - 2 sounds of Y
I Spy Alphabet
I Spy Bossy e
I Spy Loud Cows (ou and ow words)
I Spy Rhyming words
I Spy Sight Words
I Spy Silent Letters
I Spy Word Families

I Spy Christmas
I Spy Easter
I Spy Halloween
I Spy St. Patrick's Day
I Spy Valentine's Day
 

I'll send a copy of I Spy Word Families to the first 3 followers who leave a comment on this post.  Don't forget your email :)

13 comments:

  1. This packet is so amazing!!!!!
    My kiddos love 'I Spy' games and so I would definitely love a copy of your I Spy Word Families. This will certainly assist them in their reading.

    Thanks and take care
    foxysexyroxy10@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I bet your students will love it!

    mrs.deese@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks amazing!!! sreston1165@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. check your inbox :) I hope you like it!!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much!! I am off to Office Depot to print then home to laminate and get it ready for my class tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. I spy is huge with my kids! the bundle looks great! I love the detectives and think they would be fun to make. I make an entomologist with a magnifying glass so I know it's do-able. So cute. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shoot! A few comments too late!! Super cute idea!! Im sure the kids will go crazy for this!
    Jhau@plymouth.k12.wi.us

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry I missed this one. They loved the I Spy with the magnifying glass. It definitely keeps them engaged.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My kids love your I spy and it gives them such good practice.
    bonniebear06@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Spy is a favorite word work activity in my class too :)

      Delete